There are up to 85 scholarship opportunities available for undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Romania. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the institution of central public administration and it functions in accordance with the legislation and the Government’s Program.
The target of the scholarship program is to promote the Romanian language and culture. This is why all the studies will be held in the Romanian language. Fortunately for applicants who do not know the Romanian language, they are given one supplementary year to study the language. With that said, let’s check out which are the benefits of being awarded a position in the Romanian Government Scholarship Program.
Romanian Government Scholarship Program in 2020: Benefits
The scholarship consists of:
- Free-of-charge tuition
- Free-of-charge accommodation (depending on availability, accommodation will be offered free-of-charge in students halls of residence, in keeping with the higher education regulations and within the limits of the sums available for this purpose)
- Financial support – a monthly amount representing: the equivalent in Romanian currency of 65 EURO per month, for undergraduate students (1st cycle), the equivalent in Romanian currency of 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle, the equivalent in Romanian currency of 85 EURO per month, for postgraduate students (doctorate degree) 3rd cycle.
- these endowments do not cover food, international and local transport. The candidates must be prepared to personally support any other additional expenses.
Romanian Government Scholarship Program in 2020: Criteria
- Foreign citizens coming from all the states of the world, except for EU member states. Foreign citizens of Romanian origin and those belonging to the neighboring historic Romanian communities benefit from other programs.
- The applicant for the opportunity must not hold Romanian citizenship, did not request or did not obtain a form of protection in Romania, is not a stateless person whose residence on Romanian territory is officially recognized according to the law, is not a member of the diplomatic corps accredited to Bucharest or member of family of the diplomatic corps accredited in Romania, has not benefited from a scholarship from the Romanian state on the same course of study.
- The applicant for the opportunity must present study papers issued by accredited/recognized educational institutions, have good results in education, respectively an average of the study years of at least 7 (seven) corresponding to the scoring system in Romania or the “Good” score, as the case.
- The applicant for the opportunity has not, until 31 December of the year in which he/she was nominated, more than 35 years of age – for bachelor and master studies and 45 years respectively – for doctoral studies or for postgraduate studies, including the health field.
The bursaries are awarded for 3 study cycles:
- For the first cycle (licenta): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of high schools or of equivalent pre-university studies, as well as to candidates who require the continuation of their studies in Romania. The complete cycle of university studies lasts for 3 to 6 years, according to the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a final examination (licenta).
- For the 2nd cycle (master): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of university/post-graduate studies; it lasts for 1,5 to 2 years and ends with a dissertation.
- For the 3rd cycle (doctorate) this scheme is dedicated to the graduates of university/postgraduate studies (i.e. master); it lasts for 3-4 years, in keeping with the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a doctor’s thesis. Admission to a PhD course is conditioned by an entrance examination.
English Language Requirements
In order to promote Romanian language and culture, the Ministry of National Education Scientific Research has decided that the beneficiaries of the grants should study only in the Romanian language. The candidates who do not know Romanian are offered one supplementary preparatory year to study the language.
If you are interested in this scholarship program and want to use this opportunity to study in Romania, then you should Apply here and access the official website where you can find additional details. The deadline is March 16, 2020.